Saturday, March 13, 2010

Little boys growing up

I think I stayed up too late last night. It is 10:30 am and I just now finally came downstairs to get my breakfast. Days like today make me so glad my boys are just a little bit bigger. They can pour their own cereal and milk and enjoy breakfast on their own.
Last night we went to Azle, TX for a get together hosted by someone in one of Casey's choirs. It was a nice night for cooking out and fellowship. They have a zip line set up at their home. It was probably 10 ft in the air and maybe 20 yards in length. (I am spatially challenged so I could be way off on the length, but I think the height is close). Here is what I still can't believe...Ethan was the first volunteer to go on the zip line...in the dark! He's never been the bravest kid, always very cautious (I wonder where he gets it from?). I kept waiting for him to back down, but he never did. He climbed up the platform, got buckled up and jumped off. He loved it! So, of course Casey had a turn too and then Josiah said he wanted to try it too. Josiah got all set up and was at the edge of the platform and said, "I changed my mind, I don't want to go." Well, by that time he went anyway! He wasn't totally freaking out, so he was picked up and off he went. I caught him at the end and he was all smiles.
After the zip lines the kids roasted marshmallows in the fire and then went inside to play games. The "grown ups" got to have some nice fellowship around the fire. It was late when we headed home and both boys were fast asleep by the time we arrived at home.
I think they are both a little tired this morning, though they would never admit it. Ethan and Josiah went outside for awhile and a little later Ethan came in all sad. I asked him what was wrong and he said the other kids were picking on him. I asked him how and he said that he would ride by on his bike and they would just say, "hi." I said, "What are they supposed to say to you?" He said, "Well, usually they invite me to play with them and they didn't, they just said Hi." Oh, poor thing, I think someone might be a little tired today!

No comments:

Post a Comment