Thursday, February 18, 2010

New Recipes

I thought it would be fun to try some new recipes this week. Last time I went to the grocery store I picked up a few things that we don't normally eat and thought that would be a good chance to experiment. Why? Well, I heard recently that there are over 200 varieties of vegetables and most people eat about 5. Our normal veggies are green beans, broccoli, carrots, tomatoes and lettuce greens. Yup, that's 5. I've also eliminated sugar and most processed foods from my diet, going on week 4 now! So, that leaves out a bunch of things that I would normally make. The boys are cutting back on their processed foods too...and Casey always eats whatever I make.

So, this weeks new vegetables are bok choy, turnips and lentils. Okay, lentils aren't a veggie, but they are new for our family. Yesterday I roasted tomatoes, garlic, onions and jalepeno and made some fresh roasted salsa. It turned out pretty good for my first attempt. For dinner last night I made a bean and lentil soup that was inspired by something called Madras Lentil from Tasty Bite (found it at Costco). Mine didn't turn out tasting exactly like I wanted, but it was still good. Tonight I will stir fry the bok choy in garlic and scallions and serve it with salmon and brown rice. Tomorrow night we will have grilled chicken with mashed turnips. One fun thing we've done (to get the boys excited about dinner) is watching a youtube video of someone making something similar. The boys are excited to try bok choy tonight because it looked so good on the video!

1 comment:

  1. We had lentil and brown rice casserole for dinner tonight! We've had it several times before and it tastes good (to us:) is cheap and healthy:) Takes a LONG time to bake though-like hour and a half.

    ReplyDelete