Saturday, February 20, 2010

New recipes: part 2

Hmmm...maybe there is a reason we only eat 5 vegetables of over 200? After trying a few new recipes using some new veggies the result is mixed. The first new vegetable was bok choy. I stir-fried it with garlic and scallions and served it with salmon and rice. Casey and I both liked it, at least enough to eat it, but not enough to make it a "staple" in our family. Ethan was totally grossed out by it and Josiah said he liked it, but wouldn't eat more than 1 bite. The next new veggie was turnips. I found a few recipes for mashed turnips that had good reviews so I thought I'd try them that way. At first I really liked the mashed turnips, but eating a 1/2 cup serving was almost more than I could handle. Have you ever had foods like that? Where the first few bites are good, but then something happens it no longer tastes good after a few more? The boys each had a bite and turned up their noses. So, our first few new veggies didn't go over well. I do think I will try the turnip again cooked a different way and maybe with some other veggies. I am glad though that, for the most part, my boys like the normal veggies that we do eat, like salads, broccoli, green beans, carrots, etc. I can't complain since I know some kids (and adults) have never met a veggie that they've liked!

No comments:

Post a Comment