Monday, February 7, 2011

Stewardship

Last night I got really excited, even if it was just a momentary thing.  You see, my cell phone was acting really strange last night.  The screen was flickering and it was just doing weird things.  My first thought was, "yes! I can get a new phone!"  Sadly, after turning it off and then back on again, it was back to normal.  You see, my cell phone is ancient...it was old when I got it (almost 4 years ago!), and it's so outdated...BUT, it works.  It's not fancy, but I can text (barely) and make calls.  Here's the thing, I REALLY want the new flashy stuff the EVERYONE else has, but when I examine my motives (to be like everyone else and be "cool") I can't justify it...at all!

Here's another confession, I know we will be getting a little chunk of money when we file our taxes so what have I been doing?  Daydreaming about what to spend it on!  Maybe a kindle (or a nook - I'm not picky!), a lap top (because I might go back to school), a wii (for the boys, of course), ipad (to be cool, of course), and on and on it goes.

Here's the stewardship part (as I see it).  Every time I say "yes" to something I am saying "no" to something else.  So, do we want to live within our means, happily debt free or live to the very edge of our budget and always be struggling.  So, I say "no" (today anyway) to a fancy phone that will cost me WAY more in monthly charges.  Maybe with what I'm not spending on the phone we can do something fun as a family, like a movie or dinner out or baseball game.   Maybe we say "no" to an ipad (I was dreaming anyway) and instead have a weekend getaway.  Now, I'm NOT saying that any of those things fancy things are "bad."  Focusing on stuff though (like I think I've been lately) is NEVER good!   I sometimes wonder if we (as a church and society) lived more simply we'd have a lot more we could use to bless others. 


  Philippians 2:3-4
Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.   
Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.

4 comments:

  1. I have this problem too!!!!!!!!!!

    I will say though...the Kindle is GREAT! Textbooks are way cheaper and there are lots of free books to get as well! It could easily pay for itself if Casey's books are available in that format...you should check that one out. Not to make things harder for you though... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This was SUCH a good post. Holy Cow. What great perspective (and restraint I might add) you have. Wow Cathy McCarthy...you bless my socks off. :)

    Will you FB inbox me your address?

    love you! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Cathy,

    I commend your desire to be a good steward. We are working on this ourselves, and trying to teach Josiah this too.

    I did have one quick thought as I read. You might check with your cellphone carrier. Almost all carriers have an upgrade credit after 2 years, so you probably could get a new phone for free. I would suggest if you want to keep your monthly plan on the cheaper side, definitely stick with a more basic phone that doesn't require an internet package, but it would still be new.

    Sometimes taking advantage of free stuff like that brings the satisfaction of being frugal and being rewarded. Just a thought. You can often check these things out online with your cellphone carrier.

    Love ya,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Cathy, this was great! Thanks for sharing this. And I love all the pictures!
    Love, Laisa

    ReplyDelete