Thursday, December 9, 2010

Giving thanks to the "older" generation

This past week we attended the Deacon's Banquet for our church.  It was a nice event and I could tell it was something really special for the deacons and their wives, especially those of the older generation.  The speaker was a counselor who at one time was part of NFWBC.  I can't remember his name, but I remember a story he told.  A man he was counseling came to this part of his "life" story and broke down.  He was remembering the church he had grown up in and that as a teenager his father had just decided that they weren't going anymore...and that was it.  He remembered how the people at church had loved him and always had a cookie and juice for him (specifically some of the older people) and a hug.  He felt he belonged...and then it was gone.  The story made me think of some people in my own life, especially those of the "older" generation who have loved, hugged and given me that sense of belonging in the churches I've attended.  So, I thought I'd just mention them and thank God for them.  (Note:  older is relative, but I'm thinking mostly of those who are older than my parents or at least have children that are older than I am).

CSBC - (my church as an older child and youth through my college years) & Ronald Community
  • Gene Wilson - Love this man!  He would always come up and give me the side shoulder hug and lots of smiles.  I knew he was ALWAYS glad to see me (because he told me so)...he even drove the bus that picked me up for a lot of my childhood years.
  • Dr. Powell - there aren't enough words to describe this man...those who know him know why!
  • Frank & Tommie Sue Johnson 
  • Dwight & Janice Bolton
WVBC
  • Byron & Iris Moore
  • Katie Handley
  • Treva Wilson
  • Butch & Geneva Manry
  • June Lamb - she rocked my firstborn baby in the nursery during his first year
  • Dislcaimer:  the following I don't think are "older" enough but I will mention them anyway - Beverly Selland, Ann Lancaster, John & LauVonne Melton, Perry & Kay Peddicord
  • I think there are others that I'm missing...but I'll add to it as I remember.
NFWBC
  • Trinidad & Betty Ann - two of my boys favorite things each Sunday are going to the library (Betty Ann) and getting doughnut holes from the greeters (Trinidad). 
  • Linda Renfro - has been so kind to our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment