Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Homeschooling

When we moved to Texas this summer we decided that I would homeschool the boys. It was the best option for us moving into a new place. I've never been that excited about homeschool...give me a good (affordable) private Christian school and that's what I would have preferred. It seems though that private and affordable don't really go together. So, here I am homeschooling my boys and I realized just recently that this is exactly what we needed. I'll try to explain.
Ethan is very smart...sometimes too smart. And, he is very matter-of-fact. If he thinks he knows something, well then he knows he's right too. He and I have tended to butt heads a little (or a lot) since he was about 4 years old! When he was going to school I would try everything to get him to tell me about anything that happened and it was like pulling teeth! He was always exhausted from his day at school and by Friday he was a walking zombie and really cranky. I felt like we were disconnected and I didn't know what to do about it either.
Ok, so back to homeschool. We took about 3 weeks off in December/January while Casey was out of school and just had fun together. Starting back up with school was a little difficult the first week, but we are running smoothly now. So, yesterday I was explaining a math problem to him and he wasn't getting it. So I showed him a few examples and finally the light clicked on and he said, "Oh, I get it." Now that was good enough for me to see that he got it so I started to walk away. He got up and followed me so I turned around and before I could say anything (like, "get back to work") he gave me this huge hug. I asked him what that was for and he said, "because I love you and I like it when you help me." Ahhh so, that's it! I love having my sweet boy back and am so glad that homeschooling has helped us connect and communicate better.

2 comments:

  1. First, I love the new look! :)

    Second, I totally agree with the homeschooling thing. I am glad you are getting to see it. It brings a connection that gets lost when they are away. Both of my boys are more content inside when they are being homeschooled. Miss you guys! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool thing-I am not looking forward to the how to school decision when we are overseas. Its encouraging to hear stories like this one!

    ReplyDelete