Thursday, December 3, 2009

Fearless by Max Lucado

Very few people are fearless. Almost everyone has fear and many live life crippled by their fears. In Fearless, Max Lucado identifies many of the fears that plague us today. Do you fear death, disappointing God, not protecting your children? Lucado attempts to address these and many other common fears in this easy to read book. He uses vivid word pictures and stories to communicate and engage the reader. A favorite line from this book is, “Worry is the darkroom where negatives become glossy prints.”

I don’t often read Lucado’s books because I find them often to be only surface deep. The same holds true for this book, however, I really enjoyed reading this book. I will recommend it for anyone who struggles with fear. I have to admit that I identified with many of the chapters. Do I worry about my children’s future? Do I want to lock myself at home to avoid the H1N1 and all other forms of disease and sickness? Not always, but often I get so wrapped up into the latest news of doom and gloom that I have to remind myself that I have a God who is bigger than all those circumstances. Will all your fears be vanquished by reading his book? No, but half the battle is identifying the fears and aligning them with the truth of Scripture. He doesn’t promise miracles but I think he treats the issue of dealing with fears very honestly. One great feature of the book is the study guide at the end. I would actually enjoy reading the book again with a small group.


No comments:

Post a Comment